The Wise Man's Fear, Art by Marc Simonetti

The Wise Man’s Fear, Art by Marc Simonetti

Tor.com reports on the latest issue of Locus Magazine:

The September 2012 issue of Locus Magazine lists a recent book sale by Patrick Rothfuss to his longtime editor (and 2012 Hugo winner) Betsy Wollheim at science fiction/fantasy publisher DAW Books. The sale is listed as “the first book in a new fantasy series” by the Kingkiller Chronicles author.

It’s unclear whether this will be related to his mega-successful Kingkiller Chroncicles, though I still stand by my guess that he will write a follow-up trilogy to his first series, picking up with ‘present day’ Kvothe/Kote resuming/completing his goal to destroy the Chandrian. There’s a good likelihood that this is what we’re looking at here. Not a suprise that Rothfuss would ink another deal with DAW, but nice to have it confirmed, nonetheless. It also suggest that they’re now looking beyond the final volume of the Kingkiller Chronicles, The Doors of Stone, which is good news.

It’s been a heck of a week for Betsy Wollheim, who recently took home the Hugo Award for ‘Best Editor, Long Form,’ largely on the back of the success of The Wise Man’s Fear.

Discussion
  • neth September 7, 2012 at 9:42 am

I agree that’ll likely be in the same world, but I’m not sure about it continuing Kvothe’s story. That’s what I would think, but in multiple interviews over the years Rothfuss has said that Kvothe’s story will be done by the end of the trilogy and that any follow-up stories will involve other characters.

Of course this could have changed. Hopefully Rothfuss will weigh-in on this soon since it’s starting to go a bit viral.

• Weijian September 7, 2012 at 9:50 am

I agree; I hope he won’t drag out the story after the third book. My actual enjoyment of the present trilogy depends on it ending and having a resolution.

Denna could really use a trilogy from her perspective.

• Aidan Moher September 7, 2012 at 9:56 am

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed by how little of Kvothe’s quest and ‘legend’ is resolved by the end of the third book. Kvothe is going to lose, fail at his quest, and then run into hiding as a barkeeper, with nothing resolved.

At least, that’s how I see it all playing out. And after an ending like that, DAW would be crazy not to encourage Rothfuss to write a follow-up trilogy detailing Kote crawling from the ashes and properly confronting the Chandrian.

• Weijian September 7, 2012 at 10:31 am

It’s hard for me to believe he would be such a dick to hide all the little theorycrafting things in the books only to go, Sorry suckers, none of that really matters, no payoff for you.

But who knows; we’ve all certainly been burned like that before. If he goes the way of Lost like that and just kind of mehs the ending, the Rothfuss Reread over at Tor will go completely apeshit lol

• thistlepong September 7, 2012 at 11:14 am

Ten bucks says the story’s a ring around his failure with Denna against the backdrop of his pursuit of the Chandrian and the Amyr.

• Aidan Moher September 7, 2012 at 11:15 am

@thistlepong — Bingo.

• Dave September 7, 2012 at 11:19 am

I really hope it’s a follow up trilogy (although I was a bit disappointed by the wise man’s fear) but I seem to remember him saying on his blog he wanted / was going to write some urban fantasy so I wouldn’t discount that possibility either.

• thistlepong September 7, 2012 at 11:25 am

For clarity’s sake, I meant the current story. The next one won’t feature Kvothe.

• JezDynamite September 7, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I really hope it’s a series about Elodin. And explains how Elodin becomes Manet. ;o)

• David H. September 7, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I really don’t think he’ll write what you’re hoping for with the Chandrian, Aidan. He’s not necessarily writing the current story to be what you want.

• Jeff September 7, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Honestly, can you be satisfied with where Kvothe is now? Maybe it’s part of the new gritty, realistic fantasy where highly gifted characters only kind of do something good, but fail to do something awesome. I guess I’m an old fashioned fantasy fan, and in the end I want the good guys to win. I love Joe Ambercrombie’s work, but especially in this case I want the burned out, beat down hero to overcome. I want him to be better than some malicious future telling tree, and actually make a positive difference. I may be brutally disappointed, but there is a reason why I read fantasy, and leaving Kvothe wasting away as a failing nothing of an innkeeper, no matter what he accomplished before, doesn’t jibe with the reason I read fantasy. I truly want a hero, because honestly if I want a guy who tried really hard and found the system rigged against him, I can look at my life, and the lives of other college educated people trying to compete in a global workplace. Patrick, give me a guy who tried, failed, and then overcame. Please. (actually, I really enjoy your writing, and I can’t dictate your vision for your characters, but c’mon, give a brother a break)

• Shawn Speakman September 8, 2012 at 9:09 am

This sale was mentioned in PW some weeks back. The contract in question is not for a Kvothe story or set in that world. At least as far as Pat talked the other night when he was over. Four years ago, he agreed to write a novella for someone. When Pat finally sat down to write it, it grew and grew until it became 80,000 words. He sold that book to DAW along with two others. Oddly enough, he still has to write a novella for that other person. It would not surprise me that the story he wrote is likely an urban fantasy since Pat has talked about wanting to write in that sub-genre for some time.

Since he was working on the 80,000 story, I don’t know how much work he’s gotten done on Day Three. I’d say temper enthusiasm that we are seeing it anytime soon.

You will have a short story next year in Unfettered though, a story that could easily be associated with a story-within-a-story-within-a-story nesting that we see in the Kingkiller books. It’s like a poem / song.

• Shawn Speakman September 8, 2012 at 9:11 am

“Patrick, give me a guy who tried, failed, and then overcame. Please.”

I want this as well. But then that would be “just like everything else out there” that people — on the blogosphere anyway — seem to hate.

• Malek Elmadari September 9, 2012 at 7:10 am

It will either be Elodin’s or Denna’s story.

I’d like to see both eventually but am a little more excited for Elodin’s.

• Adam Whitehead September 110
    I’="http://aidanmon qnso hiapis.corel.ukon qnso hi?hl=enormat=sl=frormat=u=www.signedp. I trufres/" >Featver 9/n935n> ondey-to-daistaturk-rothfuss tag-thormat=prev=n> arch%3Fq%3DAlors%2Bn i%2Bli%2Bmonde%2Bd iner%2Bhat nd%2Bla%2Bm oine%2Bde%2Btra%2Bf Sto%2Bof%2Bem>, ,%2Bthoisi%25C3%25A8me%2Bdt%2Bdernner%2Btome%2Bde%2Bla%2Bm%25C3%25A9rne%2Blesaidanmon qnso hiapis.corel.ukon qnso hi?hl=enormat=sl=frormat=u=www.signedp. I trufres/" >Featver 9/n935n> ondey-to-daistaturk-rothfuss tag-thormat=prev=n> arch%3Fq%3DAlors%2Bn i%2Bli%2Bmonde%2Bd iner%2Bhat nd%2Bla%2Bm oine%2Bde%2Btra%2Bf Sto%2Bof%2Bem>, ,%2Bthoisi%25C3%25A8me%2Bdt%2Bdernner%2Btome%2Bde%2Bla%2Bm%25C3%25A9rne%2Bles
    8217Wi a show mu current|{},f.,er cthis c,17;s part ofnt; ty ele bothaittle accun.jsie stoi#82peakms part ofnnstandanot forpg/comab a pitedaccun.jsrt_mmple
  • Adam Whe of the Wind, < - Phfus18 - Fitpher cHeath-1Guild My wrfusBoarcite> September 110 20at 12:12 pm
  • JeffSeptembNov10 0at 12:12 p4:13er.com/blog/2012/09/news/patrick-rothfuss-sells-new-trilogy-tom2/Who catphew story har in (althou done bysntin? Ely in this es th ands story DAW 3#821k. Kon.

ngs in the storyAmbrose 6)ng to go aaiear? 7) bookesoluhe Agil 8)y sat dowfigur. And a1">instason ail r (p#8221) 9)t of> e it. Hop goal towritdeepd-theen ovea the 80,klike10)wfigur. And a1hreason lthet al )y sat dowmov with tr pitedme maeperbstegy or &#son ting thedanot , faetwith ely make a a resolutiolloting thedanot story- as far that realed. Hond the12)xmeis goaba‘nt;dget goal m, he stbetterI waal toteac/blontracm, < bogghor. tttle oogs in atook. Kvothave a shortetter Sorrete littliroperlpited Day story he wrot'norma s tag-thesse
  • v id="div-com-## --> pap gdanot
    ogy-todiv cl