2014 was a banner year for A Dribble of Ink. In addition to all of the fun artwork and news about SFF, A Dribble of Ink published some of its most popular and fascinating essays and reviews. So, to celebrate the best of what A Dribble of Ink published in 2014 (and as a subtle reminder of the site’s eligibility in the “Best Fanzine” category at this year’s Hugo Awards), I’ve gathered together a small collection of essays and reviews that make me particularly proud.
Whether you find something new, or revisit an old favourite, I hope you have fun reading through A Dribble of Ink’s contribution to 2014.
- “Life… Dreams… Hope… Where do they come from?” A Final Fantasy VI Retrospective – A languid and loving retrospective about one of the finest RPGs: Final Fantasy VI.
- Let’s Talk about Science Fiction Books by Women – Ann Leckie, Julie Czerneda, Maureen Kincaid Speller and others joined me and A Dribble of Ink readers to discuss our favourite science fiction novels by women. The most popular vote? C.J. Cherryh’s Foreigner!
- Gene Wolfe: The Reliably Unreliable Author” Chris Gerwel digs deep into Gene Wolfe’s labyrinthine and legendary library.
- They Are Not Ghosts – Maureen Kincaid Speller explores the representation of indigenous North American people in science fiction and fantasy.
- Writing in Ink to Samarkand – Paul Weimer travels the Silk Road from one end of fantasy to the other.
- “Never Give a Sword to a Woman Who Can’t Dance” – A review of Ann Leckie’s Ancillary Sword.
- “Put On Some Pants and Get Out” – Brian Staveley ponders what it takes to survive writing a book and nurturing a marriage while raising a new baby.
- “Women Made of Chrome” by Teresa Frohock
- “Of Better Worlds and Worlds Gone Wrong” by Katherine Addison
- “‘With Fist and Sword’ Epic Fantasy and Shounen Anime Heroes” by Django Wexler
- “The Unrecognized Trajectory of Slow Burn Success” by Janny Wurts
- “Dance, George, Dance” by Aidan Moher
- A review of Brandon Sanderson’s The Way of Kings by Aidan Moher
- A Review of Katherine Addison’s The Goblin Emperor by Justin Landon
- A review of Andy Weir’s The Martian by Aidan Moher
- A review of Mary Robinette Kowal’s “The Lady Astronaut of Mars” by Aidan Moher
- A Review of Kameron Hurley’s The Mirror Empire by Foz Meadows
What’s your favourite A Dribble of Ink article from 2014?