“This one was an enormous amount of fun. We’re got something for everyone in Rogues,” said George R.R. Martin of the anthology. “SF, mystery, historical fiction, epic fantasy, sword and sorcery, comedy, tragedy, crime stories, mainstream. And rogues, cads, scalawags, con men, thieves, and scoundrels of all descriptions. If you love Harry Flashman and Cugel the Clever, as I do, this is the book for you.
“If there’s any bloody justice, some of these stories will contend for awards.”
I’ll say one thing, and one thing only: the Table of Contents is a hell of a lot more impressive than that cover.
- George R.R. Martin “Everybody Loves a Rogue” (Introduction)
- Joe Abercrombie “Tough Times All Over”
- Gillian Flynn “What Do You Do?”
- Matthew Hughes “The Inn of the Seven Blessings”
- Joe R. Lansdale “Bent Twig”
- Michael Swanwick “Tawny Petticoats”
- David Ball “Provenance”
- Carrie Vaughn “The Roaring Twenties”
- Scott Lynch “A Year and a Day in Old Theradane”
- Bradley Denton “Bad Brass”
- Cherie Priest “Heavy Metal”
- Daniel Abraham “The Meaning of Love”
- Paul Cornell “A Better Way to Die”
- Steven Saylor “Ill Seen in Tyre”
- Garth Nix “A Cargo of Ivories”
- Walter Jon Williams “Diamonds From Tequila”
- Phyllis Eisenstein “The Caravan to Nowhere”
- Lisa Tuttle “The Curious Affair of the Dead Wives”
- Neil Gaiman “How the Marquis Got His Coat Back”
- Connie Willis “Now Showing”
- Patrick Rothfuss “The Lightning Tree”
- “The Rogue Prince, or, the King’s Brother” by George R.R. Martin
With the announcement of the release date for the anthology, Martin also teased fans with information about his own contribution, “The Rogue Prince, or, the King’s Brother.” “[It] will tell the story of the years leading up to the calamitious events of ‘The Princess and the Queen’ during the reign of King Viserys I Targaryen, with particular attention to the role played by the king’s brother, Prince Daemon, a rogue if there ever was one.” Stop salivating, Westeros fans.
Rogues, edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, is set for release on June 17th, 2014, as is available for preorder.